12 Health Benefits of Butterfly Pea Tea
- Boosts brain health: Good brain health is dependent on the communication levels of the brain. Blue butterfly pea contains Acetylcholine, and its consumption can increase the levels of Acetylcholine in the brain. Acetylcholine decreases with progress in age causing loss of memory and other problems. Consumption of blue butterfly pea can reverse this process and improve thinking abilities.
- Fights against cancers: The blue butterfly pea can fight against cancers by penetrating the cancer cell membranes and inhibiting their growth. The blue butterfly pea plant is one of those few plants that contain cyclotides, which have peptides with anti-tumor benefits.
- Treats internal inflammation: Consumption of blue butterfly pea tea helps in treating internal inflammation and swelling of the body. It can also provide relief from general pains like headaches.
- Helps in conjunctivitis: The roots of the blue butterfly pea plant are used to cure many eye ailments, especially in Southeast Asia. The beautiful flowers of the blue butterfly pea are used to treat eye infections like ‘pink eye’ or conjunctivitis.
- Lowers blood pressure: Patients who suffer from high blood pressure or hypertension can take the blue butterfly pea tea to control the same.
- Good for skin: Blue butterfly pea is full of antioxidants and has properties that reverse the damage caused to the skin by sugar molecules. Sugar molecules cause skin aging due to the process of Glycation, which causes damage to skin proteins. Blue butterfly pea tea has anti-Glycation and can prevent premature aging.
- Used for hair: The blue butterfly pea plant comes as an ingredient in many shampoos and conditioners. It has properties that nourish hair follicles, promote hair growth, prevent greying of hair, and reduce hair fall.
- Helps in digestion: The antioxidants present in blue butterfly pea tea can relax the stomach muscles and make the digestive process easier and faster.
- Acts as an antidepressant: The vivid, bright blue color of the blue butterfly pea tea can help people who are suffering from depression.
- Helps in pregnancy: The blue butterfly pea plant derives its botanical name from the resemblance it shows for the female genitals, the clitoris. As such, it is believed to help in conception, and much like chamomile and green teas, it provides a healthy alternative to caffeine during pregnancy.
- Helps in diabetes: Blue butterfly pea has the amazing property of controlling the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Hence the plant is often used to treat diabetic patients.
- For general pains and aches: The extract of the juice of butterfly pea with a little salt can be used to steam the site of ear infection. If you suffer from migraines, chew 2 dried leaves of blue butterfly pea. It also helps with headaches.
Butterfly Pea Tea has a floral, mildly sweet flavor, somewhat similar to that of chamomile.